We are looking for a green champion to join our board and grow our impact. This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside like minded people in the arts and environment sector to achieve lasting change.
When you’ve got art you’ve got voice. And when you’ve got voice you’ve got freedom, and with freedom comes responsibility.
— Richard Frankland, Gunditjmara filmmaker, musician and activist.
Music is a powerful force, tapping into our emotions, changing the way we think and the clothes we wear. Green Music Australia exists to harness this power to inspire deep change. Everything we love is at risk. The very conditions for life on earth are under threat. As our summers heat up, as fires and floods get worse and our living planet buckles under the strain of the modern world, more and more people are searching for a new way, a new verse. Music can unite us and together, we can bring this new verse into being.
WHAT IF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY WENT GREEN?
What if every festival and venue in Australia banned single-use plastics, swapping out rubbish for reusables? What if artists wrote green anthems and used their platform to inspire a new generation of environmental warriors? What if our music scene became a laboratory for earth-centred innovation, exploring new green ideas, pushing limits and transforming what people believe is possible? Green Music Australia is making this vision a reality.
In just eight years, we’ve helped over 40 festivals go plastic free, saving three million bottles and cups from landfill. Major artists like Rob Hirst (Midnight Oil), Jessica Cerro (Montaigne) and Missy Higgins are Patrons of our organisation and ambassadors for our work, greening their shows and speaking up on climate change. Together, we’ve rolled out Stop Adani banners at Bluesfest, hand-delivered a climate emergency declaration to our politicians, and run Australia’s first ever climate songwriting competition. This is just the start!
We are looking for a green champion to join our board and grow our impact. This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside like minded people in the arts and environment sector to achieve lasting change. Although we may not have met, we are pretty certain you’ll be:
- Passionate about music and our planet – ever been spellbound watching a live musical performance or walking through an ancient forest. Us too!
- Impact driven – enough talk, you want to see action. Australia’s music scene is unparalleled in its reach, drawing crowds of all ages from across the political spectrum.
- Authentic – someone who is unashamedly themselves and always up for helping others to be the same.
- Energised and committed – you’re probably busy but you’ll make the time needed to deliver results, and invite others along for the journey.
While not mandatory, we’d also love it if you had:
- Professional experience in the music, entertainment or arts sector
- Expertise in fundraising, partnerships or law
- An understanding and commitment to environmental issues and GMA’s approach to creating cultural change
- Personal connections for support
The voices and perspectives of First Nations peoples and people from diverse backgrounds are central to our decision making at Board level. If you identify as either of these groups, we encourage you to apply.
You can expect to spend about two to three hours per month on independent work - Board office bearers slightly more - and attend a one-hour meeting every month. Ideally you would hold the role for two years.