Led by Green Music Australia, Party with the Planet is an alliance of major music festivals, promoters, artists, social enterprises, and nonprofits aiming to tackle the enormous piles of waste left behind at festival campsites each year.
Research we commissioned shows over 50% of waste generated at music festivals is campsite litter - read the full report here. We’ve got to do better! That’s why we’re reaching out to all music lovers this year and asking them to join the movement, by keeping their campsite clean, and taking everything home.
Visit PartyWithThePlanet.org to find out more.
Green Music Australia interviewed 880 festival-goers at Unify Gathering, Party in the Paddock, and Falls Festival. The resulting analysis by consultants AT Kearney identified 5 key behavioural drivers:
1. Breakages – people were significantly more likely to leave damaged tents behind
2. Social Proof – 63% of people believed it wasn’t their responsibility to clean up if they saw someone else leaving rubbish behind
3. Lack of Connect to the Festival
4. Disregard for One’s Own Tent (not caring what stat it is in at the end of the festival)
5. Urgency to Leave – 48% of people just wanted to ‘get the hell out of here’ on the final day.
Over 3,700 music lovers have signed our pledge to be a caretaker, buy less, choose better, and take it all home.